Fostering a pet can be a lot of work, but the rewards are worth the effort for many homeless pets that have been vetted and rescued, needing a cozy and warm home to rest before they arrive at their forever home. Of course, fostering can place an emotional toll on those who get especially attached to those they foster, but you’ll never regret saving a life or two. When you foster, you’re helping another pet get a chance at life, and you are helping the pet you’re fostering learn valuable social skills to easily be adopted.
“The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals makes more than 1,000 foster placements a year,” said Gail Buchwald, the ASPCA’s senior vice president of adoptions.
There are times when a foster will adopt the pet their fostering, although shelters have to begin locating new fosters. Of course, saying goodbye is the hardest part, but here are some tips that may help with carrying a lighter burden:
- You are saving not only one, but several lives. Pets are euthanized less the more fosters there are.
- Remind yourself that your helping pets find loving, permanent homes.
- Encourage a successful adoption and be happy!
- Never feel saddened or guilty that you’re giving your foster pet to another home. As long as they’re treated with love and kindness, they will continue to adapt to their new family.
- Join a foster network or community.
- Don’t constantly foster; take a breather every now and again.
- You have great memories of saving lives; never forget them.
There are no statistics about how much nationwide data there is available referencing fosters in shelters. Even high kill shelters have foster programs. Be resourceful and do some research on the shelters in your community to inquire how you can be involved in your wanting to foster a pet.With the economic decline, there are more and more pets without homes, ending up in shelters. Sadly, many of them are euthanized, but with incredible foster individuals and families, some of them get a second chance at life.
Do you foster a pet? What do you love the most about it?