Medications Your Pet Should Never Consume
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, the number one reason owner’s call the ASPCA Poison Control Center is due to pets consuming their owner’s meds. The reason for this is that owners give their pets medications without first seeking counsel. They also may drop pills or accidentally leave them in an accessible location.
The most common pills that are consumed by pets are:
- Ibuprofen causes stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
- Tramadol (known as Ultram) is not always hazardous, but has to be injected with strict, recommended dose. Over-dosage induces vomiting, disorientation and tremors, among several others.
- Alprazolam (also known as Xanax) can cause extreme lethargy or agitation.
- Adderal causes hyperactivity, tremors and seizures.
- Zolpidem (also known as Ambien) in cats, makes them drunk-like and sleepy, along with agitation and increased heart rate.
- Clonazepam (also known as Klonopin) causes low blood pressure, fatigue, and collapsing in pets.
- Acetaminophen causes liver or red blood cell damage.
- Naproxen causes ulcers or kidney failure.
- Duloxetine (also known as Cymbalta) causes agitation, vocalization, tremors and seizures.
Want to know the best way to keep your pet from ever having the possibility to consume these hazardous pills?
Keep your medications in an airtight cabinet, desk, etc., or keep them with you. If, for any reason, your pet happens to consume any medications, call your veterinarian as soon as possible.