According to the EPA, 50% of all illnesses in both pets and humans can be traced to indoor pollution and toxins. Additionally, indoor pollution is directly related to the use of home cleaners. Cleaning products are filled with tons of ingredients that include ammonia, chlorine, glycol ethers, bleach and formaldehyde that can put pets and humans at risk of anemia, cancer, kidney damage, and liver disease.
No matter how clean and organized you make your home, it’s likely to always hold some sort of danger for your pets. Just like many common food items, household products can make a pet ill or even kill them. Due to their natural curiosity, animals like dogs will sniff around unfamiliar smells without being aware of the toxic chemicals around them. Since pets are smaller than humans are, they become more at risk due to the close vicinity of carpets, garage floors, and restricted spaces that may carry chemical residue. That is why it is important to keep pet owners on their toes and ensure that they make their homes safe for their pets.
Here are the top 3 common household cleaning toxins that can poison your pet.
Ethylene glycol is an ingredient that can be found in liquid rust inhibitors like antifreeze. It is found in a variety of products, especially the car antifreeze. Due to the sweet smell, animals become drawn into the chemical and even end up consuming the harmful ingredient. Consumption will lead to deadly side effects, as just half a teaspoon will be enough to kill a cat. In fact, the Humane Society of the United States estimates a total of 10,000 cats and dogs die every year due to the exposure of ethylene glycol. The best pet-friendly alternative to antifreeze is to use the “low toxic” version that is made of propylene glycol. The chemical is just as effective as ethylene; however, it contains a fraction of antifreeze.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, animal inhalation of formaldehyde was reported to increase the risk of nasal squamous cell cancer. However, despite its probable cause as a human carcinogen, it is still used in agriculture, home furnishings, construction materials, cosmetics and household cleaners. When inhaled or absorbed through the skin it is considered as highly toxic. To avoid, you can purchase doghouses that are made of solid wood and allow them to “off-gas” before introducing your pet.
When used properly, mothballs can be an effective method to killing moths. However, they will also pose a dangerous threat to pets when used carelessly. Inhalation of mothball vapors can lead to headaches, nausea, respiratory distress, eye irritation, and more. When ingested, mothballs can cause toxic poisoning that will lead to liver damage, seizures, respiratory failure, heart arrhythmia, and especially death.
Domestic pets may have a strong sense of smell and curiosity, but they do not have the proper defense against the dangers of toxins in your home. As a pet owner, why not consider placing them in animal day care or hire a pet nanny if your away to ensure your pet’s safety and health?
Furthermore, it is important to keep in mind that there are plenty of environmentally friendly cleaning products available on the market that are safe to use around pets and children. You can substitute toxic cleaning products with natural soaps, liquids, and powders that use biodegradable ingredients. If you are unable to locate all-natural cleaning brands, consider choosing natural cleaners such as baking soda and vinegar as just a little mixture will go a long way to cleaning your home without harming your pets.
Guest Post by Sally Writes
Photo by Jacob Curtis on Unsplash