A badge once held by the baby boomers, millennials have taken the lead for most pet-loving generation! Loosely defined as those born between 1980 to 2000, millennials have given pet shelters (and the pet industry) a renewed hope after earlier reports put pet ownership rates down among the Baby Boomer generation. According to the 2015 Global Pet Expo 35.2% of millennials own pets, up a few percentage points from where baby boomers now range.
Early last year reports surfaced that many millennials while being pet lovers, may not be the best pet owners for a variety of reasons:
- They are more likely to rent and not own, making them subject to lease agreements regarding pets and more likely to have to give up a pet due to a move.
- 38% of millennials believe that pets can stay safely in shelters until adopted out.
- They are more likely to be impulse buyers meaning they hit pet shops instead of shelters and frequently end up unprepared for all the duties of pet ownership.
So where do millennials excel as far as pet ownership goes?
Millennials – A Positive New Generation of Pet Owners
- Social Media – This is a generation that has largely grown up with social media and the internet. They love networking! Shelters should be sure to have a strong presence with informative posts.
- Social Causes – Millennials are very socially minded and they like to be a part of things that represent the world they’d like to see. From buying things for a good cause to investing in shared economies. Millennials, while they may have a reputation as impulse buyers, they are also conscious buyers and care about where their investment goes. Make sure they know they are doing good when they adopt!
- Spending – Pet spending has increased steadily over the years and it doesn’t look set to decline anytime soon. Millenials spend more on pets (both spoiling and on medical care) than previous generations.
- Tech -savvy – Pet owning now is easier than ever with all the great new innovations this tech-savvy generation has pioneered. Micro-chipping, tracking collars, thousands of pet apps and services all make it easier to care for your pet!
Want to know more ways this new generation is defining pet ownership, check this out!